Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Goonies never say die!

Tuesday, August 12, 2008


But really, my life wouldn't be the same without the Goonies. I remember being 7 or 8 years old, back when we lived in a single wide vintage trailer with maybe 3 viewable channels, and it would come on TV for the Saturday matinee movie. Oh how excited was I?! I wouldn't move from that couch until the credits finished rolling. And then I'd run outside, still full of excitement, down the stairs in our river front yard, and onto the dock my dad built, to pretend play Goonies by myself for hours. Christopher and I wanted to get married on Cannon Beach, right by the famous Goonies rock, but the stairs down to the actual beach were a little too steep and unstable for some of our older family members. Instead we got married, barefoot in the sand, a few miles north, in Seaside, Oregon. On our so called honeymoon (how much fun can you really have when you're pregnant and too sick to get out of bed?) we went into Astoria, where most of the movie was filmed. We stopped in at the visitors center, and Christopher got a Goonies 20th anniversary hoodie, and we bought some fake replica dubloons. Next stop, was the Goonies house. For those of you who have never been there, its up a gravel road on a hill, you have to park on the streets below and walk up to it. The landscaping has been redone, so you kind of have to tilt your head to the side at first, like a puppy listening to a high pitched sound, just to make absolutely sure you're at the right place. We took pictures of ourselves in front of the house, did the truffle shuffle, and then moved on to the jail and the ice cream shop where Chunk spilt his milkshake, or whatever it was that he was holding during the car chase. Anyways, I woke up this morning, and felt like I was back at the Oregon Coast, which will always remind me of the Goonies. I love it when its cloudy. That's what I miss most about living back home in Oregon. Last night Christopher got my hopes up, saying that they just opened up a bunch of new overseas spots, and he was going to try and get orders. That's great, but... we can't move with a newborn. So it looks like theres lots more Texas in our future. And I'm pretty sure a "Goonies never say die" tattoo.

Top picture: "Goonies Pendant", by cineloh, $4.00.

7 comments:

Mrs. West August 12, 2008 at 8:48 PM  

"hey you guys!"

ha. I loved reading this.
Goonies are classic.

muffintopdesigns August 13, 2008 at 6:06 AM  

oh, the goonies!!!! sigh!

xoxoox

Rosebud Collection August 13, 2008 at 10:12 AM  

Sounds so cute..You know, I am not sure I even know about Goonies, but your blog was sweet..

Unknown August 14, 2008 at 9:18 AM  

That is pretty awesome! I loved The Goonies, I have seen that movie more times than I care to admit. :)

Joy De Vivre Design August 14, 2008 at 7:55 PM  

That is one of the best movies of our time in my opinion! I LOVED it so much growing up!

The Bookish Life August 15, 2008 at 12:11 PM  

LOVE the goonies, love your story and love the pendant. YAY!

Post a Comment