Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Saturday mornings with Christopher. #3.

Saturday, October 25, 2008

I'd first like to apologize for my absence the past few weeks. I've been working my butt off. So, I finally have a weekend off, and a few minutes to dedicate to our blog. I'd like to take this opportunity, while people are actually reading what I write (a few of you at least) to say thank you to who I feel are the hardest working, least rewarded people in this country. To our military wives.

At the risk of sounding like I'm pandering (or kissing ass), ladies, now that I have your attention, I'd like to say thank you very much. And if you're not a military wife, please take the time to thank one who is. Being in the military is far from easy. The long hours, the physical demands, the deployments, not to mention the low pay, can really take their toll. The job as a a Military member can be rewarding though, for many of us. For me personally, every time a plane takes off from the base, I know I helped put it in the air. We get rewarded with medals for bravery, we get the camaraderie every day, heck- many of us even get time from our workday to go to the gym. When was the last time a spouse got a medal? When was the last time someone walked up to a military spouse at the store and said, "Thank you for your service..."? Nobody has ever thanked my wife. Nobody has probably ever thanked any wife.

Without the spouses, there would be nothing to fight for. I may have just quoted Ben Affleck from Armageddon in a round about way (I can't help it if its a good movie!), but lets continue anyways. The spouses have to deal with the long hours, the non-existent weekends, and the deployments that turn you into a de facto single parent for 4, 6, or 18 months or longer. They keep a house for us. Cook and clean up after us. Pay the bills. Discipline the children. They are amazing.

12 comments:

LoveMeKnot Creations October 25, 2008 at 9:59 AM  

thank you Tia :)


good post & reminder Christopher

Kim Caro October 25, 2008 at 10:30 AM  

you are too cute and funny! i love your creations.

jessicajane October 25, 2008 at 12:05 PM  

aw, how sweet. :)

being a military wife, that shit aint easy!

elthough my friends back home might "think" I have the luxery of sitting at home not having to go to a 9-5 job everyday, they will never know what it's like until they've been in our shoes.

thanks for this post Christopher, now go give your wife a big hug for me, k? K.

Megan October 25, 2008 at 12:22 PM  

I just wanted to ditto everything that Jessica said. ;)

Hybrid Hopes October 25, 2008 at 12:44 PM  

"I may have just quoted Ben Affleck from Armageddon in a round about way (I can't help it if its a good movie!"

rotfl @ "good movie" :)

Beki - TheRustedChain October 25, 2008 at 3:20 PM  

That necklace is FABULOUS!

Great finds. And God bless our military!

Anonymous,  October 25, 2008 at 3:29 PM  

This is so true, thank you for posting this!

P. Lee October 25, 2008 at 4:34 PM  

As a military sister - and therefore friend of many military wives you have a huge AMEN from this section of the audience!

Anonymous,  October 25, 2008 at 7:53 PM  

as a military brat who saw first hand what many military wives have to go through, I definitely have to agree.

it's a culture shock - the military life and the civilian life. it requires a complete change/redefinition of the things civilians take for granted. while the person in the military made the decision to join the military, they have the support of their squadron. they will be surrounded by people who understand them. the spouse made the decision to be in the relationship, oftentimes not knowing what that entails, and then being taken away from their family, friends, freedom as they knew it. into a life of meeting either other military spouses, whose only connection is the military, or civilians off base who just don't understand.

disclaimer: i've been watching dvd's of "the unit" this week, so i'm a little more in the mode this week than i would usually be. regardless, military families have all of my respect. thank you.

Anonymous,  October 25, 2008 at 10:56 PM  

What a beautiful post! I am also a military brat (Navy) and I am amazed at what my mom was able to pull off as a military spouse. Taking care of kids (in her case four very close in age) while your spouse is gone for half the year and you are hundreds of miles away from any family. That is a hard life. It takes patience and loyalty that many would never be able to give.
You guys both have my respect!!!

Jeni October 26, 2008 at 7:57 PM  

Don't forget the military Husbands, either. My husband is an awesome dad all of the time, but he gets to fly solo a lot more often than most.

Thanks, Tia, and thanks Christopher for remembering us!!

Sweet Olive Press | Helen October 29, 2008 at 8:29 PM  

I'm a military wife and I just want to applaud everyone who works and sacrifices to defend this country.

Post a Comment