Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

I should have eaten the fish.

Sunday, February 1, 2009

This morning after my shower, I came downstairs, ready for coffee and breakfast. Craving it. The coffee part especially (the weakest coffee you can possibly imagine, demands my stomach, but I'll take what I can get!) I headed into the kitchen, waltzing right past the dining room, to see Christopher putting a piece of salmon on a plate. Normally, that would be wonderful. I love salmon. But, it doesn't so much go with peanut butter and brown sugar hot cereal, right? This I learned a few weekends ago, but never said anything, thinking he'd probably never make the same breakfast again. Sometimes when I speak, things come out so much worse than I intend for them too. I was hoping this wouldn't be one of those moments. I took a deep breath, and as nicely as I possibly could, I told him that he could have my piece. I made sure to repeatedly let him know that I wasn't trying to be mean, and I appreciated it, I just didn't want to eat peanut butter fish. It came out bitchy anyways. It always does, doesn't it? After being a rude and ungrateful fish hater, I went into the dining room, at which point I instantly felt like the worst wife in the whole world. This, would be why...

Moments upon reading the sweetest love note ever written by a Sasquatch, said Sasquatch asks me "Whats wrong?". I reply with " *sob* I'm sad. I mean, I'm happy. *sob* I'm sad-happy". Sasquatch asks again, "Why are you sad?", at which time the only possible response that I could come up with, was "...*sob sob sob*, I should have eaten the fish!". And then I continued to cry into my hands and stare at my bowl of breakfast cereal, hating myself for not eating the salmon and keeping my mouth shut. Here he was, trying to be as romantic as possible, and I had to ruin it didn't I?

So today I've learned 2 things. 1) My husband loves me. Which I've known, but haven't really been feeling. 2) It wouldn't kill me to put on a happy face and eat the salmon when presented the opportunity.

11 comments:

Maggie February 1, 2009 at 3:07 PM  

Awww. It is so hard when you have two little kids to keep the romance in your marriage. It is such a great sign that you guys are trying at it! It gets easier- now our youngest is 14 and we can drop him off at activities and run off like a couple goofy kids in love!

The Bookish Life February 1, 2009 at 8:19 PM  

I didn't know that men really do stuff like this. Wow!

I'm sure he wasn't too severely offended that you didn't eat the fish. You're so sweet. :)

LeaKarts February 1, 2009 at 8:54 PM  

Aw! He is the best :) He obviously loves you so much, the fish can't really matter.

Unknown February 1, 2009 at 10:27 PM  

Wow, that is the cutest thing I have ever seen written by a guy. HOW SWEET!!!

And I'm sure the fish didn't really matter.

fookaDESIGNS February 2, 2009 at 8:49 AM  

Oh my goodness...I almost started to cry sad-happy tears...so sweet!

Sam @ The Ellison Family Expansion Plan February 2, 2009 at 9:32 AM  

Aw, I love it. I love it especially because it wasn't perfect; that you didn't walk downstairs, see the note and swoon and be all movie romantic. It shows that it's a real story and reminds all of us women that sometimes we should just 'eat the fish'... at least, I know I should! :)

Art Kitten February 2, 2009 at 11:10 AM  

wow. You area very lucky woman, and I wouldn't worry too much about the fish, but I can completely relate, that is something I would have done myself, sticking my foot in my mouth like that when my husband was just about to do something wonderful for me...

Megan February 2, 2009 at 1:42 PM  

How. sweet. Seriously, that is too sweet.

And I've done the same kind of thing...like the other night when Kyle made margaritas and I pretended to drink one for him. I finally just put my cup down and told him I couldn't drink it anymore, lol.

Zu-Li Designs February 2, 2009 at 2:47 PM  

Don't be sad, sweetie! You weren't mean about dissing the fish. It's ok! Don't be so hard on yourself. That's a sweet letter your husband wrote you. I can tell you both love each other very much. Enjoy your 14 days!

Chelsey - The Paper Mama February 2, 2009 at 8:41 PM  

What a great story! Thank you!

-chelsey

Kim February 14, 2009 at 8:23 PM  

That is soooooo sweet! You are a lucky gal!

Post a Comment