Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

First Date since 1964

Saturday, June 27, 2009


You may or may not know about our end of the world movie obsession. I've probably mentioned it 20 or 30 times. Anything in which cities are being blown up and destroyed, and/or giant alien monster type robot man, animal, or plant eating creatures are raking havoc, is for us. So obviously, the release of the new Transformers movie would be a holiday. We haven't been out without the kids since Charlie was born. We haven't been out without Eleanore (a trip to the doctors office doesn't count, does it?) since Christopher's birthday, July 18th, of last year. We always talk about how we want to have a "date night", but really... who has the time? OK, OK, we could find the time. But, the money?

We don't even like going out to eat, since we have to order off of a special menu smaller than the ones the 5 year olds get. Coffee is OK, but I don't really understand going and drinking it out of a paper cup on an uncomfortable stiff sofa with a bunch of strangers using laptops. Going for a walk at the park... this is Texas, its too hot. Its too hot, and we only have like one park. Ice cream... no. Mini Golf? I'm a snob and that's too high school for me. Plus again with the heat. And really I'd only want to go if I could take my daughter, because I know she'd love it way more than I would. The movies? It costs $16 for two tickets on a Friday night. Can you believe that?! Actually, because we used Fandango, $18. So yeah, date night happens for us about once a year.

Elie's favorite person on the planet, Miss Kristen, agreed to watch the kids while we went out. It was my first time leaving Charlie with anyone other than Christopher, and if somebody was right for the responsibility, it was her. She was with me every step of the way during my pregnancy, talking to Charlie from the size he was a poppy seed (muffin), holding my hand while I was being jabbed with enormous man paralyzing needles, and sleeping on a pull out hospital bed to keep me company when I went into premature labor 9,000 times. I felt comfortable leaving him with her. And of course... he slept the entire time we were gone. Elie on the other hand, was wide awake, thrilled to be watching cartoons and Hannah Montana. Eating ice cream and staying up past her bedtime. Kristen is way more fun than Mom and Dad.

Oh yeah, but about our date! The place was packed. We got there just in time to get the last set of decent seats. Since when do movie theater seats recline? I know, its been that long. There were so many previews I wasn't sure when the movie had started. I thought it was a preview for another 10,000 BC type movie. Whoops! It was 102 degrees outside, and with that many people in the room, the theater turned into a sauna. I was wearing a dress, and had to keep switching whatever leg was crossed over whatever leg, because I was sweating so dang much. Also, the room smelt like Red Vines. Red Vines have wheat flour in them, and its not fair. I was holding my cell phone on vibrate in my hands the entire time, positive that I'd get a text message at any second asking for help or begging us to come home. I did eventually get a text, but it was just to let me know that everything was alright. I didn't want to be that mom, so instead of just flipping my phone open, I bent over until I could barely see it myself, that way the light didn't distract anyone else.

The movie itself was amazing. I had read a couple of reviews before we went, and people were saying that the fight scenes were too long, and that the movie itself was too long, and blah blah blah. Yeah there were a couple of lame parts where I rolled my eyes, but overall it was bad ass. And the extra cool part? One of the planes that Christopher has worked on was in the movie. This made him, and I almost hate to admit, me, giant-grin-plastered-onto-my-face excited.

When the movie was over I was glad to get out of the shoe box and breathe fresh air again. And we may or may not have pretended that the tractor parked by the shopette on the corner was an Autobot.

7 comments:

Right As Rain Creations June 27, 2009 at 3:22 PM  

I am so glad you guys got to get a date night! We average about 1 date a year as well, lol - although this year was our 10 year anniversary and we managed to snag two nights away - even though we only went about 45 minutes away just in case, hahaha.

Your last line cracked me up. We went to the Olive Garden after seeing the first X-Men movie, and my husband stuck a fork under his watch and silver cuff and pretended he was Wolverine. The waitress must have thought we were 12.

Megan June 27, 2009 at 3:29 PM  

Hooray for date nights!

And the last time I went to the movies was to see the Dark Knight. Mmhmm. :P

(And $18 is crazy! I'm scared to find out what they are up here!)

Giggly June 27, 2009 at 5:47 PM  

Yay! Good for you! What a sweet pair you two are <3

jessicajane June 28, 2009 at 6:11 PM  

you might not want to ever get stationed in cali then. It cost us $18 for the movie, and that was the matinee price because we went before 3 pm!

anyway...i didnt even watch the whole movie. the theatre was packed and for some reason i always get sat right in front of the most obnoxious people in the theatre. There were 3 young marines behind us that were drunk and being so loud i turned around and asked them to be quiet..when they didnt stop being assholes, i went out in the lobby and sat alone i was so pissed. then i saw the manager so i went and complained, got 3 re-admission tickets (tims friend was with us) AND the assholes got kicked out. i HATE going to movies...i would rather lay in bed and spoon and watch a movie. haha.

but, thats really sweet you guys got to go out for once. you deserve it.

Anonymous,  June 29, 2009 at 6:50 AM  

AWWWWW it was my pleasure. You made me smile with your blog.


~Kristen

BeckyKay June 29, 2009 at 3:01 PM  

The same thing happens to Roger when a plane he painted shows up in a movie or magazine! :)

Alyssa S. June 29, 2009 at 6:31 PM  

We hardly ever get to the movies anymore, but thank goodness for my next door neighbor and her daughter who is home from college for the summer. She came over so we could go and see Star Trek and will be again so we can go see Transformers. We are kind...we got to the late show after the kids are asleep so she only has to be an adult presence in case of emergency while we are gone. Oh yeah and we are totally employing Maw Maw when Harry Potter comes out.

Post a Comment