Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Its Bittersweet

Saturday, November 21, 2009


Here on base we have an air park, also known as the airplane graveyard, that spans from the front gates all the way down to the end of the entrance road- its about 3 miles long. The air park consists of old planes that have been grounded and put on display, but aren't completely out of commission, since sometimes the guys have to go out and take parts from them still, haha. We went down to look at the planes on Veterans Day. I took my camera, Eleanore played in flower patches, and we payed our respects. I may or may not have taken a Santa hat and forced the kids into Christmas card style poses.


We've lived here since the beginning of Christopher's enlistment. We had our beautiful baby girl, Eleanore Sue, while we were stationed at his first training base, and then when she was just a month old, we drove 3 hours south to settle in at Dyess, and call it home. We spent the first two years of our new life, wishing for nothing more than to get orders out. Every time he called me in the morning, I'd think "yes, he got orders", because why else would he call me so early? Half the time, it was his butt dialing.


When we got pregnant with Charlie, we were blessed with a brand new two story house, just built, tools still in the garage (along with a giant black widow, which I've heard is good luck- not if it bites you though, right? Har har.) upon our viewing. Maybe life here wouldn't be so bad? The house was perfect, our family was growing, and then with time I overcame some of my personal battles and realized that it wasn't where I lived that I hated, it was how I was living. I started to like Dyess. No, I started to love it.

Its become comfortable. Its become home.


And then the other day, at 7am, my phone rang...

Christopher has been approved for his retraining.

Just as I was starting to love my new home, its time to leave it. I've heard this is how things work in the military, "your last base is always the best base", they say, but I've never experienced it.

Of course I'll share more details as they come along, but for now we play the waiting game (hurry up and wait, all of my military friends are familiar with that one I'm sure). When do we move to his next training base? Its only 2 hours south of here, and we'll only be there for 6 months. When do we PCS (permanent change of station) to our new home? Will we go to California, or Virgina? Will we buy our first house? Will his new job make him happier? Is the best thing for our family? How do I tell my daughter how to say goodbye to her best friend? How do I say goodbye to the friends that I've made? So many questions that remain to be answered.

We can't wait to start this exciting new chapter of our lives.

But it sure is bittersweet.

9 comments:

jessicajane November 21, 2009 at 11:41 AM  

thats good news. but...moving is a pain the the ass...and the waiting game is a pain in the ass. hopefully the air force works with more respect than the marines and gives you at least a good month notice before you have to do anything. i am glad we are finally settled, but also cant wait til my husband is out. i hate the military lifestyle. with a capital H.

soul_searching_mama November 21, 2009 at 2:07 PM  

I had to laugh about the butt dialing part. :)

Isn't that how thing always work? You end up loving the thing that you thought you'd hate and once you start loving it you have to leave it to go and start over new? I'm sure that "bittersweet" is probably the best way to describe it for you...both exciting and sad at the same time. I hope it is an exciting chapter for your family and you end up at a new base that you will learn to love. And I hope it will be easy for you to say goodbye, that you will stay in touch with those you care about, and that it will seem like a step forward in the right direction. :)

Lauren November 21, 2009 at 2:17 PM  

It looks like such a beautiful place. I hope all goes well when you move - I'm sure it will become home before you know it!

Tia November 21, 2009 at 4:12 PM  

PCSing... ah the pains and the joys all in one acronym.

I have to admit.. I always say the last post was the nicest.. had the best commissary, better hospitals, bigger housing, etc etc... I think we wives were bred to think that.

However, I'm itching to get restationed when my whiteboy gets back from the sand pits. It's time. Yes oh yes. Get me out of this dreary Washington weather already.

So what did you think of New Moon?

iampalegreen November 21, 2009 at 5:00 PM  

Awww...packing up your life and home where you created such good memories is hard! You guys are awesome and I know wherever you go, you'll settle in just fine.

I LOOOOOOOVE the family picture! Especially lil Charlie's face! Too cute!

Megan November 21, 2009 at 5:35 PM  

"PCSing... ah the pains and the joys all in one acronym."

That is puts it perfectly!

I can't wait to get stationed elsewhere because when else are you going to be able to move and live for free? On the other hand, I will miss Anchorage so, so much.

I hope you guys get answers soon, although the military loves to make us wait. Jerks.

This Little Bird November 21, 2009 at 6:51 PM  

I can't pretend to know how it feels... I am not a military wife - but that being said.. I wish you and your whole family the best of luck with the new move. You seem like a girl of survival so I'm sure you will figure out how to explain the move to Elie.

New beginnings are always hard, but make the best of it. Family is most important and as long as you have each other, you will prevail.

Good luck... and if there is one constant... Elie will always have her penpal :) And you have a huge support of friends here that love to follow your life. Keep writing for us to read, and you will never be alone.

Good luck.
Nessa

Christina November 21, 2009 at 11:28 PM  

I also HAD to laugh at the butt dialing part. hahaha...

But wow, a change, a new place, so much to take in! It would seem hard! :\
I like your attitude about it, though. :)

Anonymous,  November 22, 2009 at 10:14 AM  

Hey Tia, It's lindsay from Italy. I hated Dyess at first also, then I didn't want to leave. I'm still not liking it here either, I'm sure I'll miss it too. Where are you guys putting in for? Maybe you'll come here. That would be cool, not so much for your gluten free lifestyle though. Good luck, I hope you find out soon, I hate the not knowing.

Post a Comment