Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Cookies on a Cold Day

Saturday, January 9, 2010

I don't know about the weather in your neck of the woods, but here in Texas, its just flat out cold. 10 degrees this morning. Ten of them. That's too cold for me. The kids and I have been locked up in the house for days, not so patiently waiting for this winter system to pass overhead.

On Thursday, Christopher started his first day of Airman Leadership School (a class that he has to complete before he can be promoted this summer). While Charlie was napping, I peeked into the pantry to have a look at our baking stash. Eleanore had been a really good girl that morning, and since the holidays have been over and I've been up to my eyebrows with nausea, the baking in the Herman house has come to a complete halt.

"Eleanore, do you want to help Mommy bake some cookies for Daddy?", I asked?

"YES PLEASE!", she shouted, jumping down off the couch and skidding around the corner of the kitchen. I reminded her that Charlie was upstairs sleeping, and since sound amplifies as it travels around the corner and up the stairs, we needed to keep it down, or our 2 person baking party would soon be crashed by a cranky one year old.


I grabbed a box of Gluten Free Betty Crocker cookie mix. Can you believe that these boxes are only $2 at the Commissary? That's with a coupon of course, but for gluten free anything, especially Betty Crocker, that's a steal. I think I grabbed 4 of every flavor, haha.

What warms you up better than something hot and steamy straight out of the oven?


After Eleanore poured all of the ingredients into the bowl all by herself (such a big girl, I didn't help even once), I evenly scooped little balls of dough, and into our certainly not sparkly clean oven they went.


Even though this batch was meant for Daddy, to keep his tummy company while he sat in the boring classroom, I promised Eleanore that she could have the very first one, while it was still hot. Look at that evil grin on her face. Love at first sight? I think so.

8 comments:

Unknown January 9, 2010 at 11:40 AM  

Dang, it is SO cold!! I think I'll make some cookies today, too! My girls will love it (my waistline will not!!)

elsie January 9, 2010 at 12:34 PM  

what a sweet mommy moment!

soul_searching_mama January 9, 2010 at 4:16 PM  

Adorable! :) Sorry you are having nausea, but it looks like you are super mom and still making time to share special baking time with your daughter. :) The cookies look yummy!

Giggly January 10, 2010 at 2:39 PM  

Yay! I love making cookies with my daughter. :) Those cookies look especially delicious!! YummO!!

It's been too warm here to make cookies. :(

Hobocamp Crafts January 10, 2010 at 5:46 PM  

I've been soo excited about these! I liked the brownies and the white cake- have not yet tried the chocolate chips- but they look great and yes- nothing I can't identify and at a great price!! Yay!

Hyla January 11, 2010 at 9:56 PM  

She's gorgeous!

You've got an award!

http://greenearthjourney.blogspot.com/2010/01/honest-scrap-award.html

Post a Comment