Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

If you're a gull...

Wednesday, January 13, 2010


Have I ever told you our gull story?

I think that maybe I have, but, I'm in just the sort of mood that's gotten me cozying up to the warmth in my heart, so I think I'll tell it to you again, if you don't mind...

About a year or so into our relationship, when Christopher and I were absolutely infatuated with each other, we were spending a night in (rather than going out, which we often did, being free from children and having that option), and he was giving me the nicest back rub ever, hoping to calm my nerves after the long day that I had had. As he loosened up my tension with his hands, he told a story of calming ocean waves and warm sands, tropical breezes and faintly heard gulls, relaxation and serenity. The deeper into sleep I fell, the more the story slipped away from him. What was once a peaceful lullaby, had quickly turned into an obnoxious story of nothing other than gulls screaming and transforming into man eating monster birds. Gulls this, and gulls that, his imagination went wild. His laughter woke me up, and I could see that my appointment at our apartment bedroom spa had come to a closing.

From then on, we spoke of gulls often.

Now here is where things start to come together...

You know that scene in the Notebook. "Say you're a bird", Allie tells Noah ...that scene, remember? Well Christopher and I were snuggled up on the couch together (underneath large fluffy blankets, warm mugs of coffee beside us) watching that scene, the beautiful northwest rain pitter patting down on the window behind us, and Christopher turns to me and says with all sincerity, "Tia If you're a gull, then I'm a gull".

As you might have guessed, our hearts married at that exact moment.

I've mentioned before, I don't wear a lot of jewelry. I'm picky, I don't like to spend money, and very rarely do I go shopping for myself (shampoo doesn't count). Recently though, I've gotten this beautiful necklace (from The Rusted Chain), with nothing other than the word "gull" hand stamped on it. I couldn't think of anything more perfect.

(and thankfully, that pretty little pearl is attached to the pendant, because I've already dropped it into the sink and almost had to go pipe diving)

10 comments:

Nancy January 13, 2010 at 10:39 AM  

Cute story, that's what I love about being married, all the inside jokes and stories and things that only make sense to the two of us :)

Beki - TheRustedChain January 13, 2010 at 10:52 AM  

Awww, I love it!

I wondered what the inside meaning of "Gull" was. I knew there was something.

beka January 13, 2010 at 11:25 AM  

oh, that is soooo sweet. love that movie. (the sitting under fluffy blankets with coffee beside you sounds absolutely divine:))

Erika Lee @ A Tiny Rocket January 13, 2010 at 11:48 AM  

What a great story! My husband and I call each other our "Match" like a match that lights a fire. :) It is truly special when you find your other half.

Amy January 13, 2010 at 12:09 PM  

Awww, I loved that story!

(Oh and the new header! With the bean in it! Just noticed.)

Giggly January 13, 2010 at 12:09 PM  

Awww...I love that sweet story!! Tell it again!! :) Love the perfect little necklace.

MariaSoleil January 13, 2010 at 12:13 PM  

I love your baby day counter! It's a bean counter! ba-dum-dum

Megan January 13, 2010 at 2:03 PM  

Awww, sweet. (How can you say anything else to a romantic story that also involves the Notebook?)

This Little Bird January 13, 2010 at 9:32 PM  

what a precious story... I love it. You two are very lucky to have found each other... very rarely do we find our true soul mates in life... I believe you have found yours :)

Thanks for sharing Tia.

Post a Comment