Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Berry Breakfast Not-So-Crisp

Tuesday, April 27, 2010


We had a rough weekend, folks. With Christopher working 12 hour shifts both Saturday and Sunday, Eleanore's epic meltdown in the middle of the Earth Day celebration at the zoo (I officially believe in angels after that, by the way, especially those that come to us in the form of cowboys), and Charlie's vitamin c allergy kicking into full gear- this berry cobbler was just what I needed.

I made this Friday night, actually, so that it would be ready for Christopher to have on Saturday morning (I thought maybe it would help ease his I-don't-wanna-work mood).

I haven't had a cobbler since I was pregnant with Charlie. And during that time period, I must have eaten at least six peach cobblers, probably all to myself. At the time, I had no idea of my fructose intolerance, and was always so confused as to why I felt so awful after the peach dish was gone.

I was nervous to make this cobbler. Well not nervous to make it, I knew my family would probably love it whether I ate it along with them or not, but I was nervous that the sugar used to sweeten it would caramelize during the baking process- and if that happened, I couldn't have even a single bite. And I really wanted cobbler.

Usually the "crunchy" crisp topping contains brown sugar. Well I can't have brown sugar (the molasses), so I figured I'd just use cane sugar. And... maybe if I didn't use as much of it... then it wouldn't caramelize?

Y'all, really, I know nothing about baking. And when it comes to baking things fructose free and gluten free, I'm almost always confused and completely overwhelmed.

I had to give it a try anyways though, right? I had to have myself some cobbler!

***********************
Berry Breakfast Not-So-Crisp
This recipe is both Gluten free, and fructose free


Preheat oven to 350.

The Filling
-5 cups frozen berries
-1 tablespoon cornstarch
-1 tablespoon rice flour
-1/2 cup cane sugar

The Not-So-Crisp
-1/4 cup gf oat flour
-1/4 cup gf oats
-1/2 cup almond flour
-1/4 cup sorghum flour
-1/4 cup millet flour
-1/2 cup rice flour
-1 teaspoon cornstarch
-1/4 cup sugar
-1/4 cup Earth Balance


Pour your frozen berries (I used strawberries and blueberries) into a glass bowl. Pour the rest of "the filling" ingredients right on top of them.


And then mix it all up.


Mix up all of your "Not-So-Crisp" dry ingredients in a large glass bowl, and then cut in your earth balance with a fork or one of those fancy butter cutter inner thingies. Yep, one of those.

Take a big handful, and sprinkle it inside a greased casserole dish. Just enough to cover the bottom.

Add half of your berries.

Add another handful or two of your not-so-crisp.

Add the remainder of your berries.

Add the remainder of your not-so-crisp.

Cover your casserole dish, either with a lid, or foil- put it into the oven for 50-60 minutes.

Wait, wait, wait. Tick tock, tick tock.


The oven is beeping, and your house smells like a warm orchard, right? And ohmahgosh, it looks so good through the lid, doesn't it?


Aaaand, remove the top. Look- no caramelization!! Well, for those of you who like the crispy crunch of the baked brown sugar, you might not be nearly as excited as I am. For the 2 other people with fructose issues that might be reading this, YAY with me, will you?? YAY!


While your dish sits and cools, the floury crumble is going to soak up the berry juices. It might start to look a little soggy (like the above pictures), and you might start to get a little sad faced, not being used to a soggy crisp, but... this is a not-so-crisp, and it still tastes just as good, I promise.


The cobbler tends to thicken quite a bit when re-heated, so if you're going to eat it warm the next day, be careful not to overheat it.

For the baby's breakfast, I added a few drops of water and ran it through the blender. Hes picky, and I still have to puree things for him, even though hes 16 months old. Hey I understand- not having molars is hard.

If you're feeding this to a little one, you might want to um... be careful?


Because, uh oh. It looks like someone made a lil' bit of a mess, huh?


But I guess that means he likes it!

Of course I'll be playing around with this recipe in the future, I'll probably make it again this next weekend (its so nice to wake up and have a yummy cobbler to eat to get your morning started!), and maybe I'll see what happens if I defrost and pat dry the berries before baking? Maybe I'll use less flour? Maybe I'll use more? It'll take a couple tries to bring it to my own personal perfection, but this is a great start, if I do say so myself.

Enjoy!!

19 comments:

CourtneyKeb April 27, 2010 at 9:39 PM  

Tia, that looks So delicious!
Seriously, you look like you did good!
That little boy is so freaking cute with or without cobbler smeared over his entire baby body!

Casey April 27, 2010 at 9:58 PM  

Yum, Tia. I am a major baker, it's like, literally the ONE thing I can honestly say I do well. But I haven't done much GF baking so I always love to read your recipes.

soul_searching_mama April 27, 2010 at 9:58 PM  

Looks very delicious! :) And I love the pics of Charlie as usual! :)

beka April 27, 2010 at 10:17 PM  

First of all, love your spatula.
:)
Next, OMG--I love the details caught in the pictures:) even the messy baby:)
Hm. I'm more of a crisp-lovin' type of girl... but hey, whatever floats your boat! So glad it didn't carmelize for you!
Wow that all looks good.... :)

Allison April 27, 2010 at 10:20 PM  

I love those pictures of Charlie covered in cobbler! That sounds like a delicious dish. Wish I had smell o'internet...

TexasBobbi April 27, 2010 at 10:39 PM  

That sounds so good. I love to bake.

Oh Mandie April 27, 2010 at 11:18 PM  

I totally had my own baking fail this week, so I feel your pain Tia!

I don't know anything at all about your allergies, but can you use some granola in it? I always sprinkle that on top when I make Apple Crisp, and it makes it pretty cruchy.

Those pictures of Charlie are so stinking cute! I seriously want to get on a plane to Texas for the sole purpose of blowing raspberries on that kid of yours' cheeks.

jessicajane April 28, 2010 at 12:34 AM  

oh my god i laughed out loud, so loud, at the pic of charlie!

Devon April 28, 2010 at 6:34 AM  

Oh my... Charlie looks too cute! He definitely enjoyed it!

Anonymous,  April 28, 2010 at 7:21 AM  

OMG Charlie! hahahaha Cutest.

Kelly Irene April 28, 2010 at 8:24 AM  

OK I was just excited that you survived the weekend. Then I thought the cobbler recipe looked fantastic. THEN. Then Charlie! hahaha! soooo cute! I was literally laughing out loud...in the office (thanks) Thanks for sharing all of it with us :)

Colleen April 28, 2010 at 8:53 AM  

Sounds delicious. I think for those of us that are allowed to have crispy bits, just taking the lid off will work for us.
Love the sweet (literally) messy baby pictures! Precious.

Petals April 28, 2010 at 10:46 AM  

That is the most adorable mess I have ever seen.

Rogue Wild April 28, 2010 at 10:46 AM  

that looks sooooo good!!! I love your ambition =o) I'm so nervous to alter recipes, because, well, I suck at cooking/baking already lol so making changes would just be a big huge disaster

the pictures of charlie brought a smile to my face, a much needed smile this morning =oD

Chelsey - The Paper Mama April 28, 2010 at 12:44 PM  

Oooo, babies eating adult food looks messy! :) I'm looking forward to it.
This might be a nice treat for my weekend too! Thanks for the recipe. AND, the cute photos!
-chelsey

Shalyn April 28, 2010 at 1:23 PM  

looks yummy enough to wear. thanks for the scrumdiddlyumptious recipe.

Laura Craig April 28, 2010 at 8:39 PM  

Oh my!!!! Look at all of that cuteness!!!! He is ADORABLE!!!! And that cobbler looks YUMMY!!! I am a big fan of the crunchiness of cobblers but I am a bigger fan of berries!!! So, I think the berries would over rule this one!!! Looks delicious!

They call me mommy... April 29, 2010 at 8:58 AM  

Ohmygeeze! Charlie is so stinkin' ADORABLE!!! Oh and the cobbler looks heavenly! My husband LOVES cobbler & pie but for some reason I have never dared to make one on my own...this is to tempting not to try!

jonahbonah April 29, 2010 at 1:15 PM  

ok, that looks yummy!!!

melissa

Post a Comment