Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Hey, Wheres The Flashback?

Friday, May 14, 2010

I've gotten more than one email today, all friendly of course, asking me "hey Tia, no flashback today?".

Well.

About that-
(bad cell phone pictures comin' atcha!)


After a few hours of nagging stomach twisting contractions, I gave in, listened to my body, walked out on the season finale of one of my favorite shows (Private Practice), hopped in my neighbors truck (her husband had come home from work so that she could take me) and took a trip down to the hospital.

See, when I was pregnant with Charlie, I went into preterm labor at 34 weeks, and it turned out I had been dehydrated. So now, as soon as I feel contractions- I start guzzling. By the time I got there, I was practically my own brita. One of the nurses made a comment about not even bothering to send my urine cup down to the lab (they ended up sending it anyways, though, she was just funny), since she could see right through it.

After a few shots of terbutaline and a lortab- I still had no relief from the contractions... I told my neighbor to go home, they admitted me, and I got moved out of triage and into my own room.

More contractions. Blood work. Test results. Crazy low potassium levels. Giant honking potassium pills that nearly choked me. More contractions. More blood work. Twenty minute naps. Thunder and Lightning. Missing my husband and babies. More potassium pills.

And 10 hours later. My first eating out experience in well over a year-

I guess somewhere along the line I should have mentioned my food allergies to somebody, but seeing as how food was the farthest thing from my mind, it just didn't come up. When they brought me a platter of croissant sandwich and grapes, I spoke up, rambled off a lengthy list of intolerances, and voila- cream of rice cereal, at my service.

An hour or so later I texted Christopher to bring the babies. I knew I'd be going home soon. I had taken my second round of potassium pills, my contractions had dulled down to a minimum, and I was exhausted. Just let me go home, I begged.

And then there my beautiful family was- Eleanore carrying her doctor kit, Charlie walking around and driving his trucks all over the floral print furniture like he owned the place.

The nurse explained to me how rather than dehydration being the cause this time, it was actually the opposite. I had drank so much water, that I had flushed some very vital nutrients out of my body, leaving me aching, literally, for health. I got a lecture about how I need to drink fluids other than water (soy milk is really my only other option), and was warned to expect further lecturing from my doctor. So rather than the terbutaline helping with the contractions, it kind of did the opposite, seeing as how it usually causes hypokalemia (low potassium) in itself.

Fun, right?

Anyways. I'm home now. The Bean and I are safe. I took a nice long nap on the couch while the babies played around me. Christopher has been taking care of me, and tomorrow I expect to be back to my busy-bee-go-go-go-do-everything self.

But, if you happened to participate in Flashback Friday without me, please, link up below! (sorry guys, next week I'll be back on track, I promise) ...

29 comments:

BeckyKay May 14, 2010 at 3:44 PM  

Oh, Tia! So glad to hear you and the babe are okay!

Feel better!

Alyssa S. May 14, 2010 at 3:45 PM  

Poor Momma! Ah yes, I guess I knew too much water could do that to you. I'm just relieved to hear that you and your little bean are a-OK. Feel better!!!

Laura Craig May 14, 2010 at 3:54 PM  

Oh goodness!!! I am so sorry you had to go through that!!! It's scary when these little beans throw a curve ball at us!!! I am glad you are both safe though!! I had never heard of drinking TOO much water while preggo!!! I hope this is the only "excitement" you see this pregnancy!!!

Bellz Journey May 14, 2010 at 4:06 PM  

Glad you are feeling better. I love how Ellie brought her doctors kit...so cute!! I sent you a DM check it out!! :D there's a gift in it!

They call me mommy... May 14, 2010 at 4:16 PM  

First off I am so glad that you and the bean are both safe, second,I know its really weird but I had this feeling that something was wrong again I am so glad everything is okay. Get some rest momma, feel better (=

Colleen May 14, 2010 at 4:24 PM  

I'm glad you got checked out and that everything is okay. Rest up this weekend.

This is the first week that I have a flashback, so I'm glad you put the linky up.

Heather S. May 14, 2010 at 4:52 PM  

Wow, that's something to keep in mind! I had my kiddo at 33 weeks, I'm terrified of having #2 early too...I guess even in Texas it's possible to drink too much water.

Anika May 14, 2010 at 5:32 PM  

Yikes! Glad to hear you and the bean are back home safe and sound with the family. Take care!

CraftGirlAlli May 14, 2010 at 5:41 PM  

Wow! I guess I never realized too much water could be a bad thing. Glad you and the bean are both okay!!

April May 14, 2010 at 5:48 PM  

YIKES! Glad everything is ok now!

Christina May 14, 2010 at 6:09 PM  

Aww I am sorry you had to go to the hospital. :( I am so glad that everything is ok now though!! *phew*! I hope you can get some nice rest and then feel back to normal(as normal as being pregnant feels at least hehe).

Rogue Wild May 14, 2010 at 6:40 PM  

so glad everything turned out okay and the bean is still cooking inside =o)

Anika May 14, 2010 at 7:12 PM  

Sorry I left the wrong link the first time...im still getting used to Flashy Fridays!

beka May 14, 2010 at 7:43 PM  

So glad everything's fine. Wow, that rice pudding looks...scrumptious. :)
Sounds like tomorrow's going to be lovely-normal. Heh heh.

Oh Mandie May 14, 2010 at 8:05 PM  

Yikes, thats scary! I'm glad that you and Mr or Mrs Bean are doing ok now though. Get some rest Momma, you deserve it!

Chana@ Mamma Town May 14, 2010 at 8:20 PM  

Oh my gosh! I can't believe you even posted something after your day! You are so dedicated and lovely! I'm SO happy you are feeling better...and who would have thought a thing as TOO MUCH water could be the cause? You take care of yourself!

Allison May 14, 2010 at 8:23 PM  

Whew! I'm glad you're okay.

And I wouldn't consider hospital food eating out so much as forced eating.

Danielle May 14, 2010 at 9:18 PM  

So glad everything is okay !! Get some rest.

Chelsey - The Paper Mama May 14, 2010 at 9:21 PM  

Glad all is well! I was on bed rest most of my pregnancy. Lame!

All that matters is your okay!

-chelsey

Giggly May 14, 2010 at 9:56 PM  

Glad to hear everything is well. :) You're a strong mama. XOXOX

considerthelillies May 14, 2010 at 10:00 PM  

glad you are home now! Hope you can relax and take it easy!

Julie May 14, 2010 at 10:28 PM  

How scary! Glad you are back home now!

Desiree May 14, 2010 at 11:11 PM  

So glad all is well -- been thinking about you guys a lot :)

Alita May 15, 2010 at 9:30 AM  

OUCH! ... but I'm very happy to hear that you and bean are just fine. And doctor costumes... so cute!

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations May 15, 2010 at 10:00 AM  

How scary! Glad you are the baby are safe. Hope you are feeling better today.

CourtneyKeb May 15, 2010 at 3:53 PM  

Awww Momma, I'm so sorry for you.
I've been away from the internet for a couple of weeks, and I was eager to catch up with you, and I hate that you had to go into the yucky hospital with whatever it was that was in that bowl, lol.
Glad you and little one are alright though!!

soul_searching_mama May 15, 2010 at 7:32 PM  

I'm so glad everything is okay!! Rest up and don't push yourself too hard.

Chelsey - The Paper Mama May 16, 2010 at 12:53 PM  

Hey lady,
I hope all is well this weekend after that crazy Friday. I wanted to drop by and let you know I nominated you for the Project Mommy-hood Mom Blogger of the Year. I just love reading your blog.

http://projectmommyhood.blogspot.com/2010/05/introducing-2nd-annual-mommy-blogger-of.html

-chelsey

Johanna May 18, 2010 at 1:17 PM  

Yikes Mama!!! So sorry to hear that you got so sick. But I'm glad that you did the right thing and that you got some help...take care, rest and don't drink too much ;o)

Post a Comment