Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Wordless Wednesday: Sidewalk Chalk

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

(Sometimes the simple things seem to slip my mind. When the babies go outside to play, we choose the front or the back. In the back, we've got the playhouse and slide. In the front, we've got all of the toys in the garage. Sometimes when given the choice, I'd rather not choose either.)

(Typically, when I take the babies outside to play in the morning, I in vision it to be relaxing. But it almost never is. While I'd like to be sitting there sipping at a mug of coffee or reading my book that I've been trying to finish for half a year- they're always wanting more more more. They can't just follow my rules and play with the toys I allow them. They can't just respect each other and behave nicely. They bicker and fight, kick and scream- they get overstimulated.)

(And I go crazy)



(Well it came upon me, the other morning, that instead of going for a walk and to the park, instead of choosing the back yard with the slide and playhouse, instead of opening up the garage and letting them be free with the toy bins- I could just keep it simple.)

(We'll play with sidewalk chalk today, babies. The same sidewalk chalk that you play with every day, only this time, just the sidewalk chalk, and nothing more.)



(Nothing to fight over, other than the coffee can that carries the chalk. Nothing to cry about, there are enough pieces for the both of you.)

(And theres no need to bother Mommy- shes busy taking pictures of dusty fingers and toes.)



(So theres a little bit of wind.)

(Just brush your hair out of your face, pretty girl, and don't lift that chalk from the concrete for anything.)



(Except maybe to use it as makeup. Your cheeks could use a little color, since we're playing in the shade, rather than the sun.)

(And gosh your eyes are gorgeous, Elie Belly. You and your Daddy both.)



(Well, what did you think it would taste like?)

(Every day, you bring the chalk to your mouth. Every day, you take a bite. And every day, Mommy says "yuck! yuck Charlie!", you spit it out, throw it down onto the ground, hard as you can, and then pick it up and start all over again.)



(While Brother is daydreaming about the big mud covered truck across the street, Sister is drawing snow covered palm trees that will later be trapped inside of an imaginary winter globe.)



(Just as the excitement wears off, Brother comes out of the flower garden, guilty, holding a single flower. He sits down, and does what any other one year old would do.)

(He puts the flower in between his dirty toes.)

(Somehow he knows to be gentle with it, while squishing it into place with his fingers. Hes extra careful, not to lose a single petal.)



(And of course, whatever Brother does. Sister has to do too.)

27 comments:

Unknown May 26, 2010 at 2:08 PM  

Absolutely beautiful, the post and kdis alike.

Anonymous,  May 26, 2010 at 2:30 PM  

Do you think parenthesis mean the words don't count? :) The photos are darling, but someone should explain wordless Wednesday a little better.

haha Just jokes.

Tia Colleen May 26, 2010 at 2:41 PM  

Haha, yes. In last weeks Wordless Wednesday, I described exactly that. How when my words are hidden in parenthesis, they are invisible!!

Kelly Irene May 26, 2010 at 2:43 PM  

Beautiful pictures (of beautiful babes)! I'm glad you posted all of these (and the hidden meanings).

Mrs Mar May 26, 2010 at 3:03 PM  

(very quite wordless wensday over here) love all your pics. Whats up with little kids putting stuf they know isn't good in there mouths over and over agin?

TexasBobbi May 26, 2010 at 3:27 PM  

sounds like an amazing morning,

They call me mommy... May 26, 2010 at 3:29 PM  

AWWW! Super precious photos as usual Tia! Sometimes I feel like a "just chalk day" too, its much easier that way! The flower between the chalk colored toes is art simply put. To precious to even describe!!! Oh, and Elie's eyes ARE really beautiful (:

beka May 26, 2010 at 3:36 PM  

Very cute.
Love the pictures. Beautiful:)

Alyssa S. May 26, 2010 at 4:06 PM  

Seriously, yours need to come over to my house and teach my two how to play with chalk nicely! We have a humongous bag of chalk and still we seems to fight over the purple chalk even though there are two other identical pieces in the bag...and Merrick insists on coloring over any picture Amelia draws. All of this in a driveway big enough where no two pictures should have to encounter one another. UGH! OK, sometimes we do play nicely...sometimes.

LOVE the pics and love how Charlie keeps thinking the chalk will taste better the next time...and the time after that :)

CraftGirlAlli May 26, 2010 at 5:02 PM  

haha. I love how you (hide) your words :)

as always...great photos!

What kind of camera do you have?

Colleen May 26, 2010 at 5:42 PM  

I love your (wordless) Wednesdays. And it's cool to see the onesie on the cute model. :)

Melanie May 26, 2010 at 5:51 PM  

I love those chubby little legs. Awesome post!

Chelsey - The Paper Mama May 26, 2010 at 7:13 PM  

Seriously love those chubby legs and the tasting of chalk! The onesie looks great too.

Mommy Elephant Sarah May 26, 2010 at 7:19 PM  

Hehehe. I was going to ask if Charlie puts the chalk in his mouth because that's all Max does with everything. I have chalk, but I haven't even tried it yet, because I just know it will go straight to the mouth like crayons. He is so dang cute though. I like the photo with his mouth closed, and tiny bits of chalk are left on his lips. Hehehe!! :)

Mommy Elephant Sarah May 26, 2010 at 7:20 PM  

PS!! He's wearing the onesie!!! Awwwwww cute overkill!!! :D

Sarah May 26, 2010 at 8:15 PM  

ahhh .... love the post, love the sidewalk chalk, love those babies!

how are you??? i'm sorry i have been missing in action ... summer is fast approaching and i am free!!!! so i will be in touch.

thinking of you and that belly!
thank you for the beautiful card :)

Lacey May 26, 2010 at 8:37 PM  

aaaawwww, the onesie made an appearance! Love it AND the (hidden words) You make me smile. :)

Adriana May 26, 2010 at 8:49 PM  

wow. this post is perfect.

Rogue Wild May 26, 2010 at 9:26 PM  

Oh my gosh Tia! their faces! the pictures today are great, they always are =o) I can see changes in Charlies face =o) your blog always makes me smile!!

considerthelillies May 26, 2010 at 10:35 PM  

I love those pudgy little feet!

Chana@ Mamma Town May 27, 2010 at 12:02 AM  

Your killing me over here with the cuteness! Look at that onsie on him! And your daughter's face needs to be in print on a diaper box somewhere. All of your kids need to be models infact. Oldest on a Pull-up's box. Charlie on a diaper box and the nugget in your tummy (when it pops out) should be on a breast pump box somewhere!

Unknown May 27, 2010 at 1:54 AM  

im so glad you got the new camera to take such beautiful photos with.

Danielle @ We Have It All May 29, 2010 at 12:10 AM  

I LOVE LOVE LOVE all these shots!!! Oh! And "Wordless Wednesday"? Ok. Another one I will need to start doing, lol. That will be a nice break.

Rachel Elizabeth May 30, 2010 at 8:57 PM  

Love it. They wouldn't be kids if whatever they were playing with didn't somehow end up in their mouths.

Memoirs of a Mental Mind June 24, 2010 at 8:27 PM  

Ok this one literally made me Laugh Out Loud! I can so relate..my 10 month old sticks Everything in his mouth..and I mean everything gets a taste test! And I've never seen someone with such a foot obsession! Lol! Awe they r so precious at this age!

Post a Comment